October 25, 2014
A la Cart
While he was majoring in English literature and psychology, Cass worked for a pedicab company in Newport, R.I. Then, in 2010, he started his own business, Pirate Pedicab, while teaching at the Metropolitan Regional Career and Technical Center, a regional vocational high school in Providence.
Now, Cass has teamed up with ice cream maker Giovanni Salvador to found Tricycle Ice Cream, which sells ice cream sandwiches from its tricycle cart at farmer’s markets and events.
The ice cream sandwich hasn’t really been explored, Cass said. “You could really do anything with it — any combination of cookies and ice cream,” he said.
The two use local, seasonal ingredients, such as strawberries from Schartner Farms in Exeter, R.I., for strawberry ice cream on vanilla shortbread cookies. Other combinations include bourbon vanilla ice cream with espresso cookies made with coffee from New Harvest Coffee Roasters in Pawtucket, R.I.
Read all the Friars and Food stories:
- From Farm to Table: Patrick McNiff ’96 raises animals — and awareness — at his farm in Rhode Island
- Be Her Guest: Marybeth Boller ’86 followed her dream of becoming a chef from Michelin-rated restaurants in Europe to the top floor of Bergdorf Goodman
- The Big Cheese: With fermentation and preservation, humans built empires. Jason Sobocinski ’01 continues that tradition today.
- Easy Cheese: Jason Sobocinski ’01 shares tips on enjoying cheese
- Cheese and beer: perfect together
- Rocket Man: Joseph Meneguzzo ’88 brings fine dining to the street — with out-of-this-world results
- Culver ’06 answers the call for healthful living, food
- Holy Cannoli!
- Quick hits from a food safety expert
- In the kitchen with Rev. Kenneth R. Sicard, O.P. ’78 & ’82G
- The Science of Service: Dr. Yinsheng Wan, student researchers feed the hungry
- The Last Word: First Impressions